I specialize in the treatment of anxiety and stress-related disorders, in addition to depression, trauma and relationship issues.
In addition to working with individuals, I also meet with couples and families to heal and build on reconnecting relationships that are in crisis, or stuck in difficult and painful patterns. Helping clients improve their communication skills and to learn to speak directly, honestly but appropriately, can ease much distress and pain in their relationships.
My approach is eclectic and drawn from both short and long-term evidence-based techniques. I regularly attend conferences and workshops, to ensure I am up to date with developments in the field.
My areas of expertise are Psychodynamic therapy, with some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) interventions if appropriate, Mindfulness practice, Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy, Emotionally Focused Therapy for couples and in some cases of trauma possibly EMDR work (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). Please ask me if you would like to know more about these treatment modalities.
MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
With my background in law and film production, I have a particular empathy for the challenges of working in the creative and professional fields. Sometimes it can feel stressful to maintain our lives, or our expectations of what those lives should be. I understand these struggles and can help you work through feelings of anxiety or difficulties in coping.
Having lived and worked in Europe and Asia as well as in the US, I appreciate and understand cultural diversity and am sensitive to working with clients from different ethnicities and backgrounds. I have considerable experience in working with mixed-race couples, and families with westernized/US-born children of immigrant or culturally traditional parents, who may be having difficulties with relating to each other. My time in SE Asia has also helped me bring a centered mindfulness to the therapy that I practice.
Education and Training
- MA in Clinical Psychology, California Graduate Institute at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Los Angeles
- MFT license #52252, CA Board of Behavioral Sciences
- LLB in Law, London University, England
- Continuing training in Intensive Short-Term Psychodynamic Therapy (ISTDP) and Dynamic Emotion Focused Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for couples; Alliant International University, San Diego
- Certificate in Couples and Sex Therapy; American Association of Marriage and Sex Therapists, UCLA
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) for trauma; EMDR Institute Training
- Certificate in Psychodynamic Treatment of Trauma; Los Angeles Institute of Psychoanalytic Studies (LAISPS)
past RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- Full-time Primary Therapist, Summit Malibu substance abuse residential rehabilitation clinic; Malibu, CA
- Prop 36 court-mandated substance abuse management program therapist
- Domestic violence program group therapist, counseling in anger management issues
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- American Association of Marriage and Sex Therapists (AACAST)
- The International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)